Here is a rundown of the suggestions we found online.
- Keep your garbage cans in the garage.. with the door closed. 🙂
- Put things like ammonia (careful with this one) or moth balls around or in the garbage
- Secure the lid with bungie cords, we don’t think this works too well
- Buy a super expensive critter proof garbage cans
- Double bag the garbage so it won’t send out an oder
- Build a garbage can shed, but make it almost air tight or they will get in
There is a trick we’ve used with some success.
If your garbage can lid overlaps the lip on your can and you can drill a hole that goes through BOTH. Then get a bunch of angled peg-board hangers and maneuver them through the holes on each side. They can only have ONE notch on them, not two. This seems to work but you need the patience to take them on and off as well as have them off before the garbage folks show up.